Food allergy restaurant app
The pre-work portion of the UX Design course at Prime Digital Academy focused on establishing the essential skills and vocabulary for UX Design. From A/B Testing to the Z-index CSS property, I have learned and applied skills to create, examine, and revise projects.
I have been working on prototyping and testing wireframes for a mobile app that is designed to assist people with food allergies in finding a dinner reservation at a restaurant that meets their dietary restrictions. Here's how I did it:
Step 1: Talk to people
The first step was to engage in user research with people who have food allergies and learn about what is most important to them in selecting a restaurant. Using the Open Table app, I asked three users with food allergies to show me how they go about searching, selecting a restaurant, and creating a reservation.
I'll spare you my super-amateur findings report, but here's what you need to know: Food allergies affect where people choose to eat. They want to know how much of the menu they can eat and be able to see the menu.
Step 2: Create wireframes
Based on this information (and at the suggestion of one of my users) I wanted to create a flow that produced search results based on what percentage of a restaurant's menu met the selected dietary restrictions.
I came up with this:
Using Adobe Illustrator I digitized the wireframe sketches.
Step 3: Create a clickable prototype
In order to determine one screen's relationship to another (that is, the flow) I drew out a sitemap that included the wireframes I created, plus a few more options.
After the flow was determined, I used Axure to create a clickable prototype--check out a few of the screens from that project below.
Step 4: Perform a usability test and identify recommended improvements
Now that users could click through the prototype and see how it might work, I asked three more people with food allergies to again attempt to find a restaurant and make a dinner reservation. I asked them some information about themselves, their professions, and their comfort level with the internet. Then I asked them to complete two tasks.
See my reported findings and subsequent recommendations below: